Friday, July 21, 2006

Telegraph Creek

Well, I arrived in Dease Lake and spent the night in a regular RV campground that wasn't much to write home about. The next day, I took a 70 mile (one way) side trip down an unpaved road to a place called Telegraph Creek. It was a very rough road for the Jeep, and I stopped a rest area exactly half way there. I noticed some bear droppings only about 20 yards up a little trail at the rest stop. As I returned to the Jeep, I noticed:



I was in the middle of nowhere, and didn't know if I was going to make it out easily, or if at all. I uncovered my spare tire on the back of the Jeep to find...a beautiful, new tire! The only problem was that it was held in place with a locking wheel lug! I didn't remember ever seeing one in the Jeep, so I thought I was sunk. But, I looked in the glove box and there it was! Awesome! I was able to change the tire in about 30 minutes, constantly looking over my shoulder for the bear that was in the area. In the time I took to change the tire, not one car passed either way on the road.

Anyway, I was up and going the rest of the way to Telegraph Creek, which was at one time going to be a major telegraph central location, way out in the middle of nowhere. Along the way, I ran into a bunch of horses that were just having a good 'ol time on the road:



As I got near Telegraph Creek, the views began to get better:



There was a huge canyon several miles long as I approached, containing a beautiful river. Here's one shot of the canyon:



Telegraph Creek is tiny. I took some photos of an old church and had a great lunch.



There were lots of buildings dating back to the 1800s still standing.

Enough of that. I drove the 70 miles back to the RV, parked in a rest area. Then, around 6pm, headed north out of Dease Lake. Destination: the junction of Hwy 37 and Hwy 1, the Alaskan Highway! As I drove, I saw 2 moose, a beautiful tan fox, two bears, and a wolf. Not to mention, of course, the beautiful scenery:



No comments: