Friday, July 21, 2006

Skagway, Alaska

I travelled from the junction of Hwy 37 and Hwy 1 (the Alaskan Highway) to Whitehorse, a rather large town, about 270 mile journey. What a pleasure it was to drive on a nice, paved road, able to go 60 mph again! Made the trip with no incidents, and had some nice scenery along the way.

While camping in Whitehorse, I took a bus/train ride south about 100 miles to the town of Skagway, Alaska. It was a beautiful drive, and I wish I had taken the Jeep so I could take some pictures. But, we did stop in a place called Carcross, a tiny little town, and I got these pictures:







We left Carcross on the bus, and traveled further south to an even smaller town called Fraser. That's where we boarded a very old train from the early 1900s. The train wound its way through the mountains for about an hour to Skagway.



Skagway was quite the tourist trap. There were many buses and a few gi-normous cruise ships. Tourists clogged the streets. It was nothing except souvineer shops everywhere. I only spent about 10 minutes wandering around, and then went to the Red Onion, which was a bar dating over 100 yrs old. It had also been a brothel, with little rooms upstairs. Naturally, I took the 10 minute tour to find out more. They had some girls dressed up as ladies of the day, and I took this photo of them:



I hung out at the bar for the afternoon, then boarded the bus for the long ride home. The train ride was probably the highlight of the trip.

No comments: