Thursday, July 13, 2006

Smithers, BC

Drove along Hwy 16 and stopped at one of the Provincial Parks along the road. It was a really beautiful park, with lots of flowers.



Continued along Hwy 16 until I came to a town called Smithers. It was a really beautiful place, with lots of hiking. I stayed in a place called Glacier View RV Park, just north of town. As the name suggests, it had a perfect view of a glacier up on a place called Twin Falls. here's a shot of the area:



I drove to the falls, took a 5 minute hike to photograph the two falls. Very nice! You can see all of the pictures on my photowebsite at www.tomsphotosonline.com. Anyway, I then started hiking this trail called Glacier Gulch. It climbed steeply through rainforest, and I hiked about 30 minutes when I met up with 3 other hikers who told me to keep going 2 more hours, where the trail would lead me right up to the glacier! I didn't have any food or water with me, but decided anyway to follow them up. Another half hour later, they stopped where the "trail" became nothing but loose, jagged rocks from the glacier. I left them behind as I continued the trek up some very steep terain. I went for another hour at least, and reached the begginings of the glacier. Here are some shots of that heroic climb:



I was exhausted climbing up this thing with no food or water. I did get to have some glacier run-off which tasted oh so good! I couldn't continue anymore, so I headed back.

No comments: