Saturday, May 06, 2006



Hi folks!
I'm back in internet coverage (sort of). It's been quite a week. On Monday I took the RV into a service center. Seems my "check engine" light was coming on during stop-and-go driving. They replaced a "lift pump" and I went onto camp in Malibu Creek State Park. Very beautiful, as you can see.






I hiked and biked the trails at the park. One really beatuful place was near the visitor center. I took some shots of the river. Saw my first rattlesnake of the trip, and also a giant turtle sunning himself on a rock. Here are some pics:









Mr. Rattlesnake says "Hellooooo..."










The next day (Wed), I took the mountain bike out for it's (and my) first run. I pushed the darn thing uphill for about 2 miles, then the fun began. This mountain bike thing can potentially be very dangerous, but by the end of the day, I was cruising like a pro. The highlight today was seeing a "golden eagle" fly near me and into a tree. Here's a pic of him:

That evening I had a guy come out to advise my on my inverter problems. For those who don't know, an inverter converts 12 volts DC into 120 volts AC. Very handy when you're camping without an electrical hookup. Anyway, I had monkeyed around with the inverter, and eventually blew it up. I bought another one, and had this really cool guy come to my site and chat about what went wrong, and how to avoid problems next time. I got it working and watched TV that night! Yea!

On Thursday, I took off for Monterey, but the darn "check engine" light came back on. So, it was off to the service center where I had been on Monday. They looked at it and said that the lift pump they installed on Monday was defective, and they were going to put a new one in. Hmmmm....sounds like they don't know what's really going on. Spent the better part of the day in the service center, and drove up the road to Carpenteria, a lovely beachside community just south of Santa Barbera. Found a very nice State Beach to park overnight.

Meanwhile, Beavis has been having problems with...ehhhh....diareah. I've been upping his insulin because it seems he continues to drain the water bowl. I realized that perhaps his drinking is due to the...ehhhh...diareah. So, on Thursday, I took him into a local vet to have his blood glucose measured. Long story short, he's getting about the right amount of insulin, and I'm going to have to confir with the vet as to what to do next.

Anyway, drove out of Carpenteria all the way up to Big Sur, about 30 miles south of Monterey. Oh...my God! If you've never taken a coastal drive up this way, you are missing one of the most beautiful natural sights. The coastline was incredible! Had a great drive, up some pretty steep and narrow roads, but the RV performed flawlessly. This whole area is georgeous! Staying in Pfieffer Big Sur State Park overnight, but it's so dense, that my RV won't go under a lot of the overhanging branches on the road. The next day (Saturday), drove 2 miles down the road and found a really nice RV campground, right on a river. It is quite, shady, and beautiful! (Short aside - took a wrong turn while driving to the campsite, and found myself faced with this entrance to another campsite):


No comments: