Friday, May 19, 2006

Alameda, CA

I'm now out of Sequoia and am in Alameda, CA, staying with a friend. My drive from Sequoia was spotty, to say the least. Left the campground at 8am, made it to a service center in Fresno, and stayed there 4 hrs while they diagnosed my overheat problem. Found a bunch of curd clogging up my radiator on the backside, inaccessible from the front. They wanted $1,000 to remove the radiator and clean it. Then, as they were about to tear into it to do that and look at the thermostat, they discovered that they didn't have a new thermostat to install. So I just told them to forget it and that I would try to use a hose to dislodge the crud myself. I drove up Hwy. 99 in 104 degree heat, and the RV did just fine. Then, I had to get on Hwy. 580 to the Bay area - up a huge hill many miles long. As I went up the grade, the engine temperature began to climb. From 1/4 hot, to half, to 3/4 hot...I didn't think I'd make it. But it held at 3/4 until I crested the hill! From there, it was an easy drive to Alameda. I'll stay here until Saturday, then it's off to Mom's. Here are some more pics from Sequoia...








1 comment:

Amos said...

Tom, sounds like you are having a REAL adventure - the good and the bad. The scenery is awsome. I hope the SS Thibault does not hit an iceberg, er, sequoia or something. As it relates to the coverter.... GET PROFESSIONAL HELP.