Tuesday, June 13, 2006

In Oregon!

It's been awhile since my last post, so here's the latest.

After leaving Alameda, CA, I went to visit Mom in Walnut Creek, CA. Stayed there for a few days getting Beavis checked by a local vet to see how he was doing with his insulin. Then, left for Truckee, CA, to visit my sister Ginny, her husband Richard, and boys Bradley and Thomas (ages 11 and 9).

Luckily, I got snowed on Thursday night, May 26, as Truckee experienced a record cold night. A significant portion of my time in Truckee was spent helping my nephew Thomas "mod" his Xbox. Seems Thomas is really into a game called "Halo 2", so I spent, oh...about 12 hrs. gettting the box modified so that it would accept modifications to the various different levels of play. It was a struggle all the way, but I learned a lot about the game, programming, etc. By the end of it, I was a pro at getting things to work. Anyway, I did get some time to go to a local lake, Donner Lake, and get some pictures:




After my Truckee visit, I visited my friend Tom Weller and his wife, Karen, in Brentwood, CA, on my way back to the Bay Area. I had an appointment to take my RV in for service in San Leandro, CA, in the Bay Area, to figure out my "check engine" problem, that was continuing to plauge me. Dropped the RV off and told that it was an electronic control module feeding the lift pump, which had twice been replaced. Went back to Mom's in Walnut Creek to wait it out. Took some pictures of the local wildlife at Mom's - pretty impressive!





Went to pick up the RV on Wednesday, went back to Walnut Creek overnight, then left to trek north. Crossed the Golden Gate bridge...

Trekked northward, stopping at the Point Reyes Lighthouse. It was pretty cool, but you couldn't go up to the top.

Continued northward till I got to Bodega Bay, CA. Not much to see there, and I picked up a cold to boot. Stayed two nights, then again drove north, taking a detour to see the Point Arena Lighthouse...

Continued onward, Northward, and stayed in a campground in Meyers Flat, CA, about 50 miles south of Eureke, CA. Went for a drive on a 31 mile stretch of old highway they call Avenue of the Giants. It's a very pretty road parralleling Hwy 101 that has huge redwood trees and tremendous overgrowth everywhere you look. Stopped and took a short hike through one of the redwook groves. What a beautiful, quiet walk it was. These redwoods are literally 200 feet tall (that's tall!). Here are some photos:



After staying two nights in Meyers Flat, proceeded northward again, through Eureka, Cresent City, CA, and into Oregon. This drive was really nice. The weather was cool and rainy, just what you might expect in Northern California/Oregon. Can't begin to tell you how beautiful certain sections of this drive was. From Cresent City, I took Hwy 199 to the Oregon border. This was one of the prettiest stretches of driving yet on my trip. Saw my first elk (she had a little baby, but I couldn't get it in the picture).

Well, that's all for now. I'm still quite ill, hoping to make it to a National Cave near the campsite tomorrow. Then I'm off to Lassen State Park, aka Lava Beds National Monument, back in Northern California.

No comments: