Thursday, September 21, 2006

Mt. Rushmore (South Dakota)

sadfas
After Devil's Tower, I drove 125 miles east into South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore. The area around Mt. Rushmore has an amazing amount of things to do. Very family oriented. There are man caves to explore, there's a reptile house, Old McDonald's farm, a very cool wild animal "zoo" containing bears, coyotes, mountain lions, buffalo, etc., the Crazy Horse monument, and, of course, Mt. Rushmore.

I visited Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and a cave called Jewel Cave.

Mt. Rushmore was amazing. Hard to describe in words. It is such a great reminder of where this country has come from. There was a short trail that allowed a little closer view, and I took some pictures from there.



As I left the monument, there was this really cool view of George Washington in profile:



After Mt. Rushmore, I went over to the Crazy Horse monument. This thing is huge: the figures of Mt. Rushmore can fit into Crazy Horse's face:



This has been under construction for over 50 years, and there's many more years to go! It is entirely privately funded. It is a very cool story.

Anyway, after a short visit there, I went over to Jewel Cave, the second longest cave in the world at 136 miles! We took an elevator down 300 feet and did about a half mile loop in the cave. It was pretty cool.

Anyway, it was a really good, short visit. I saw this really old structure on my way back to the campsite:

No comments: