Thursday, September 21, 2006

Devil's Tower National Monument (Wyoming)

From Yellowstone and Bighorn National Parks, I travelled east, almost crossing the entire state of Wyoming. I stopped in Gillette, Wyoming, about 50 miles from Devil's Tower. The weather turned nasty, and I wound up staying in a Walmart parking lot for 3 nights waiting for the weather to clear before heading out to Devil's Tower. It even snowed on me for a few hours. In all, very cold, windy, and nasty.

I finally drove out to DT, even though the weather hadn't quite cleared. On the last 20 miles of the drive, I saw an incredible amount of wildlife, including a flock of wild turkey, numerous herds of antelope and deer, a Golden Eagle (he flew right across my windshield), and a bunch of prarie dogs.










Devil's Tower was really cool. It's 1261 ft about the surrounding terrain, flat on top, and has these "columns" running up and down its sides. I spent about 2 hrs there, hiking around a 1.3 mile trail that circles the tower. I really enjoyed seeing this.





No comments: