Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Seward, Alaska

ddd

From Denali, I traveled south for about 240 miles to Anchorage. I stayed in an RV park just outside of downtown and right near a river with lots of salmon making their way upstream. There was a bridge over the river where you could watch the salmon, and just underneath, there must have been 100 10-12 lb. salmon resting before continuing the journey upstream. There were also a few 3 ft monster salmon, probably king salmon, that were completely red in color, indicating that they were almost dead as a result of spawning.

I didn't really do much in Anchorage; it just seemed like any large town/city with its WalMarts, resturants, etc. The weather wasn't great either, so there was no scenery to be had.

So, after a day or so, I traveled out of Anchorage south to the Kenai penninsula. The Kenai penninsula is world-famous for its salmon fishing this time of year. I headed towards Seward, Alaska, on one of the southermost points on the penninsula. It rained on me on the drive down and all the next day. I visited a local aquarium that had a couple of seals, otters, and a very good bird exhibit to kill some time. The next day was also very dreary, obscuring some very beautiful scenery that I knew surrounded me. Finally, on my last day in Seward, the weather broke, and I cruised around town on my bicycle to take some pictures:



Lots of charter fishing here in Seward



A view from my campsite



Another view looking west from my campsite



Another view of the mountains surrounding me



A beautiful stream nearby

That was all for Seward, although I'd be back in a week or so with my brother, Greg, and Dad to do some fishing. More about that later.

No comments: