Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Homer, Alaska

Homer, Alaska, is on another souther-tip of the Kenai penninsula, about 160 miles from Seward. To get there, I drove along the Kenai River for quite a ways. This river was really beautiful, having an aqua-color that you'd expect to see in tropical waters:




As I approached Homer, I got a nice view to the West of several volcanoes, one of which was Mt. Redoubt, that errupted in 1989:



I arrived shorly thereafter in Homer, a very small town with an 8 mile stretch of narrow land jutting out into the ocean, known as the "spit". I camped all the way at the end of the spit and, as luck had, camped 20 feet from the "Eagle Lady". The Eagle Lady lives there year-round, feeding the balk eagles in the area in the winter months. She's been doing that for something like 20 yrs or so. I did manage to get a short glimpse of her, but she's something like 80 yrs old now and doesn't get out much. Speaking of eagles, I was a little dissapointed that I only saw one, as soon as I arrived. He was perched on a nearby rooftop:



A magnificant bird, I will tell you.

My campsite was right on the water again, and I had some spectacular scenery all around me of the mountains and some really large glaciers.





I even managed to spot an otter in the water:



One of the things that I saw while I was in Homer was the Northern Lights. I was lucky to see them because they are most often seen in the winter-time in much more northern locations such as Fairbanks. They weren't the real colorful ones you'd expect to see, but more light flashlights in the sky shining a grey light for a few seconds, then fading out. It was pretty cool.

After my stay in Homer, it was time to drive back to Anchorage to pick up my Dad and brother, who were going to be with me for about a week...

No comments: