Sunday, April 08, 2007

Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico

After the long, desolate drive across west Texas, I crossed the border into New Mexico and, a short time later, arrived at Carlsbad Caverns National Park. The cave(s) was beautiful! I highly recommend this to anyone. It took me about 3 hrs to walk (and photograph) the caves. In the late springtime, thousands of bats leave the cave each evening to search for food. They have an "ampitheater" set up just outside the cave entrance, and people sit and watch this spectacle. I was a little early in the season for that, but the tradeoff was that there were hardly any people inside the cave. I don't think the experience would have been so great if there had been many, many people inside. Here are some picutres; more at www.tomsphotosonline.com.
Sunset at Carsbad Caverns campsite
Think this is my best moon shot ever.
Entrance to Carlsbad Caverns
Just one of many beautiful sights inside the cave
The colors were amazing
A cave "chandelier"


No comments: